[meteorite-list] Astronomy & Telescope

From: David Pensenstadler <dfpens01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 18:00:38 -0800 (PST)

Ron:

The type of scope depends upon what you want to do.
Are you interested in general observing, planetary or
deep sky objects, or in astrophotography?

First, you probably want a reflector rather than a
refractor, which are very expensive for the same size
aperature. If you don't know much about using setting
circles to find your way around the sky, then a Go-To
scope is ideal.

Does it need to be portable? There are some nice
large aperature Dobsonians at a reasonable cost.

A Schmidt-Cassegrain is a nice long focal length,
short tube system which will give fairly high powers
but be prepared to pay a few thousand bucks for an
8-inch or larger mirror.

A small aperature, inexpensive Rich Field telescope
will give you some awesome wide field views of the
stars and some bright deep sky objects, but if you
want to see any of the dimmer nebulas or galaxies, you
will need a light bucket (large aperature).

Perhaps a pair of large binoculars (11x80) mounted on
a tripod would be a good start until you know what you
really want to do.

I have an observatory in my back yard with a Celestron
11-inch scope and I still use my 11x80 binoculars
quite a bit.

I'm sure you will hear from others on this list with
other good opinions.

Good luck.

Dave