[meteorite-list] Norton County: Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - January 06, 2008

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:13:31 -0500

Greetings all,

The LaPaz, Nininger conflict can be seen very easily here and why the
two didn't respect the other for such tactics "but"
On dozen of occasions Nininger had tried to involve both the Smithsonian
Institute, our government and many other institutes of the time to fund
or offer grants for his pursuits of meteorites so they could contribute
greatly to their collections and for science (Nininger's primary goal)
and freeing up Nininger to initiate his program. He was always told the
idea wouldn't work or he would find few meteorites or make applications
for grants (he did but there were few times he was fully funded and
usually for only a small project). As a result Nininger was forced to
offer for sale meteorites in order to fund his program of finding new
meteorites in the country, to pay for his meager lifestyle in which he
was often in debt as well provide for his family. Even so Nininger still
offered his collection up a number of times if someone would provide a
home and provided him a moderate salary, with condition that the
specimens would be studied and researched.

While LaPaz was frowning on Nininger's methods, he himself was hoarding
specimens of his own at his house. A number of specimens were found in
his basement after he passed away (a year before Nininger) a collection
that he had amassed making him a hypocrite by being a "collector".
Wonder if word of this ever got out to Nininger before he passed on. It
is my belief that some of the stuffy scientist of that day were just
envious of Nininger successful program of finding meteorites
(at least half of all that had been found in the USA from 1923 to the
1960's) and had to justify their lack of finds or a program by
suggesting that "money" was Nininger's incentive (which it wasn't). By
LaPaz's standards he would greatly frown on all of our efforts here to
find, collect and appreciate meteorites today! Seems some of this funny
attitude carries over today in our society.

The fact that LaPaz withheld specimens for scientific study from
Nininger (respected for his scientific abilities in meteorites by many
of his day) is also a crime against science of that time and shows the
true tone (colors) of those better than thou scholars of that time. All
my best!

--AL Mitterling

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de shared:

LaPaz evidently felt deeply that meteorities should be raised from the realm of
dealers, hobbyists, and amateur collectors and established as an academic discipline
to be pursued in universities, preferably by professors like himself who held Ph.D.
degrees in mathematics, physics, or astronomy. Not only did he deplore Nininger's
selling of meteorites at his museum, he was scandalized when Nininger brought
specimens to Society meetings and offered them for sale. In all probability, LaPaz
saw dealers as posing a genuine threat to research opportunities by inflating the
prices of meteorites. He may also have felt a whiff of the disdain toward "men-in-trade" that was traditional among gentlemanly scholars on both
sides of the Atlantic Ocean.