[meteorite-list] AD - not quite a meteorite, but fell from orbit

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:06:29 -0800

Hello Bob,

Good questions. I can confirm that the piece Ted Brattstrom is selling is
indeed from Skylab and is one of the few 'pristine' pieces found in
Australia. Some pieces appeared heavily damaged while others were in
relatively good condition as this one. Skylab was a massive piece of debris
and it is likely that some pieces were 'sheltered' by its large size during
re-entry.

There are still pieces of Skylab scattered about Western Australia. A large
panel from a Saturn V stage was also found in good condition somewhere in
Africa some years ago. There are tons of man made meteorites out there
waiting to be found :)

Kind regards,
?
Mike Bandli