[meteorite-list] What should your first meteorite be?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:02:39 +1100

Hi Rhonda,

I was intrigued by your post and it got me thinking!

"#1- once I get the first I'll be bit big time and I won't be able to stop
myself."

Yep... I think we'll all agree with that one! ;-)

"#2 - I want the first one to be special and I can't figure out what exactly
it should be."

Now the whole first meteorite thread has been done numerous times and I'm
sure it's in the archives but you made me stop to think about it a bit
further. There are people on this list who have been collecting for many,
many years and some for just a short time. But knowing what we do now, what
would everyone's first meteorite be if they had the chance over again?

Mine was a nice little 25.9g Sikhote-Alin individual. I suspect many others
also had either SA's or Canyon Diablo's as their first meteorite. The funny
thing is that even though my collecting habits have moved in a different
direction, I still think a nice little Sikhote was the best option. Just
because I guess it's what you might 'expect' a meteorite to look like.

So I think your idea of asking the list is a great idea and I don't believe
that it's "too pedestrian". I'd actually be really interested to hear what
others think and if they would choose differently now. And maybe there will
be some advice there that works for you.

There are some very knowledagble people on this list Rhonda and when I
joined I was also a little intimidated. However I soon learned that this is
a unique and very welcoming hobby with great, friendly people.

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
Meteorites Australia
www.meteorites.com.au