[meteorite-list] Meteorite crater mystery/trip

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:39:15 +0000

Hi All,

Can anyone help to identify the structure I photographed in the link at
the end of this post?

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. I have just managed
to plough through the huge backlog of posts from everyone after a 5 week
trip to Australia via Hongkong. I managed to visit many meteorite
related sites on the journey...the Cranbourne strewn field and display
just south of Melbourne...passed by Pinnaroo and Karoonda and through to
Adelaide for a look at their huge Mundrabilla and a great meteorite
display...then drove on up for a walk around the Henbury Craters and
Alice Springs...another good display there at the Museum in the Cultural
centre...fantastic selection of Henburys. The second part of the trip
was on the West coast and Perth....another amazing museum full of
space rocks there...with the other large Mundrabilla alongside many
others from the Nullabor. Futher north we had a good day walking around
the Pinacles..a very surreal landscape and the site of another meteorite
find. All in all a memorable trip with loads of photographs and 3000
miles of driving!. I will try and upload some of the collections we
visited and post links if anybody is interested.

Anyway...back to the original request. On the Dec 1st flight out to Oz
we passed over northern China...a wonderful view of the mountains and
deserts from 35000 ft. Again I took far too many photographs out of the
plane window...but caught this shot of a very interesting structure,
which looks incredibly like a huge impact crater or astobleme to me. I
have not been able to confirm what it is and wondered if anyone else on
the list had ever seen it or could identify it? Been trying google earth
but no luck yet. The scale can be judged to some extent by the small
settlement nearer the foreground.

Here's the link...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/LaburnumStudio/Craters/Crater-.jpg

Hope those of you heading for Tucson this time have as good a time as I
had last year. Sadly I cant make it.

Regards

Graham Ensor, Nr Barwell UK.