[meteorite-list] Metal inclusion on Mali Meteorite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2008 17:06:19 UT

Andi wrote:

"I have found on a 151g Erg Chech/Mali Meteorite a metallic inclusion, looking
uncommon in my opinion. I would ask for some comments and thoughts about what
this might be and if other people have already seen such an inclusion. The
inclusion is attracted by a magnet. Hope the pictures show that the part of
the inclusion, outside of the Meteorite, has a crystal form with well defined
edges."

www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Inclusion1.jpg
www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Inclusion2.jpg
www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Inclusion3.jpg

Hi Andi and List,

Wow, a very intriguing feature of this Erg Chech individual. Well, it looks like a
duck (i.e. cubic crystal habit), it quacks like a duck (i.e. magnetic), so my guess
is it may be a magnetite crystal protruding from the matrix.

Its cubic crystal habit reveals that it belongs either to the spinel series,
the magnetite series or to the chromite series.

Erg Chechically,

Bernd