[meteorite-list] "The high-pitched scream"?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:52:11 -0700

Seems like it would depend on the angle. A shallow entry means that
people at one end of the path might hear something before the impact at
the other end. But most likely there would be no sound to give warning.
Of course, the impactor wouldn't be going faster than light! The bright
light in the sky would certainly give warning... a few seconds, for
whatever that's worth.

Also, I think rumbles and booms are more likely than a high pitched
scream. But I think the guy was just speaking figuratively in any case.
Any impactor in a high eccentricity orbit that comes from a direction
near the Sun is probably going to go undetected.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com