[meteorite-list] Unclassified NWAs: What's the attraction?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:52:31 -0500

Hi Bob,

>Do people buy them because they are cheap,

Yes, some do.

>because they are a mystery,

Yes, some do.

>or for some other reason?

Yes, some may want to create a diorama-like strewn field for display
purposes. I have sometimes thought of doing this.

Some (myself included) have bought them to give away to kids at various
functions.

I recently had a country crock container about filled with cheap NWA
material that I gave away to boy scouts after they looked at the moon
through my scope. Of course, being at night in a campground, some boys lost
theirs in the grass so I would just reach in and hand them another.

Some buy cheap NWA material to practice with, when they are first learning
to cut meteorite material.

Some buy them for re-sale, possibly thinking a huge mark-up will make them a
lot of money.

>If someone else gets one classified,

Few will bother to even attempt to get an NWA classified unless they first
have cut a window into it and discovered what may be an achondrite.

Hope this helps,

-Walter Branch.