[meteorite-list] 'The high-pitched scream'?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:21:23 -0700 (MST)

Hi all:

I just saw a movie on TV the other night. I was at the American
Astronomical Society meeting and could not sleep, turned on the TV and
there was a movie about meteorites. In it, on a number of occations, you
could hear the sound of the incoming meteorite before the hit the ground
and exploded.

The movie was "Meteorite!" with Tom Wopat (Luke Duke). I know this is fact
because a few weeks ago when I was preparing for a presentation on meteor
showers, I found on the Web (so it must be true) two video clips: one from
'Armageddon" and one from "Smallville" (where Superman grew up) and they
both had screaming incoming meteors.

Sorry, but along the lines of what Sterling said, there is some much bad
science in these movies it has you screaming from the room in horror!

Larry