[meteorite-list] "The high-pitched scream"?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:45:13 +1100

Hi Mark,

It would seem that it is possible but not in the ordinary sense. This could
only happen when Electrophonic Sound was produced from the incoming object.
It only occurs with large meteors but I'm thinking your scenario would be
BIG enough! ;-)

Electrophonic sounds are defined as sounds produced by direct conversion of
electromagnetic radiation into audible sound.

This is done through extremely complex mechanisms, some of which are still
debated as the theory of electronic sound is relatively new in the last
couple of decades. Basically, the sounds will be heard concurrently with the
meteor as the very low frequency radiation travels at the speed of light.
It's thought that this energy is so intense that it causes objects on the
ground to vibrate which is the sound you hear... not necessarily the
'meteor' itself.

Cheers,

Jeff