[meteorite-list] Bernd Pauli's excellent abstract of Burke, part 2

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:06:45 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:52:09 +0200
From: Bernd Pauli HD
<bernd.pauli at lehrer1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> | Block
address
To: Meteorite List
Subject: Native Americans and Meteorites - Part 2 of 6

Jeanne wrote:

> I was also wondering if your book mentions anything
> about Native American usage of Canyon Diablo irons
> for tools, amulets or other spiritual items.

BURKE J.G. (1986) Cosmic Debris - Meteorites in
History, pp. 223-225:

The Hopewell Indian culture flourished from about 500
B.C. to A.D. 500. The Hopewells settled in villages
and did primitive farming, and they expended
substantial labor in constructing large burial mounds
and
related earthworks.

Within several of these mounds in southern Ohio and
central Illinois, archaeologists have found ornaments
either made from or overlaid with meteoritic iron. A
separate fragment weighing 767 grams, which was found
in Mound No. 4 of the Turner group in the Little
Miami Valley, Ohio, was a pallasite, and scientists
have sinceidentified it as a transported piece of the
Brenham pallasite. The site of this find is a thousand
miles distant in Kiowa County, Kansas, which adds to
the previous evidence that the Hopewell Indians
carried on tradeover long distances.

In addition, twenty-two beads that were found in
Mound No. 9 of the Havana, Illinois, group were
fashioned from a fine octahedrite, and the location of
the main mass from which this material was obtained is
not known. The presence of meteoritic iron objects in
these burial mounds indicates that they were probably
treasured possessions, but evidence that the objects
were venerated is lacking.

The occurrence along with them of artifacts made of
copper and of shells, which were much more common
material, supports the idea that they were personal
belongings.