[meteorite-list] Monnig Meteorite Gallery in Texas Receive Large Slice of Mundrabilla Meteorite

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:03:31 -0800 (PST)

http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com/media/storage/paper792/news/2008/01/16/News/Monnig.Meteorite.Gallery.Receives.A.Slice.Of.Mundrabilla-3153001.shtml

Monnig Meteorite Gallery receives a slice of Mundrabilla
Daily Skiff
January 16, 2008

The largest iron meteorite slice in the country is coming to Monnig
Meteorite Gallery <http://www.monnigmuseum.tcu.edu/>.

The 45-ton meteorite, Mundrabilla, is one of seven slices cut by a
dealer in Frankfurt, Germany, and is named after the town in western
Australia where it was found, curator Arthur Ehlmann said. The
Mundrabilla slice, which measures about 3 feet wide and 2 feet long , is
the only slice that will be displayed in the United States, Ehlmann said.

Two slices will be returned to Australia, and the other four will be
displayed in museums around Europe, Ehlmann said.

"I think that it is one of the most exquisite pieces we have in the
collection," said Teresa Moss, director of the gallery. "It's one of my
favorites."

Ehlmann said he paid nothing for the slice. "I had something he wanted,
and he had something I wanted," Ehlmann said.

The dealer chose 15 duplicate meteorites from the collection to trade
for the slice, Ehlmann said.

The staff said the slice will join the permanent collection and hope it
will be on display within a few weeks.

The Monnig Meteorite Gallery <http://www.monnigmuseum.tcu.edu/>, located
in the Sid Richardson Building <http://www.maps.tcu.edu/4d.asp>, opened
its doors to the public in 2003, according to its Web site.

Moss said the gallery is a popular field trip site for many local
schools and serves as a lab for geology, physics and environment sciences.

Moss said she hopes TCU students from all fields would come visit the
museum to see the Mundrabilla slice, as well as the rest of the collection.

"There is not much else like it," Moss said. "Come by and touch a piece
of the core of a meteorite."