[meteorite-list] Tucson Announcements: 1 of a Series

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:28:58 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings all.

I know many of you will shortly be heading this way, and I also know
many of you are Tucson show veterans. However, you'll find things very
different around town in 2008 and I thought it would be helpful to post
a few tips and announcements over the next few days.

We're all familiar with the traffic problems and the shortage of
parking during the gem show, especially along the Frontage Road strip
(Day's Inn, Howard Johnson, etc.). Well, the bad news is it's going to
be a lot worse this year.

I-10, the interstate which blasts right through Tucson is undergoing
major construction and ALL downtown exits, in both directions are
closed, all the way from 29th Street in the south, to Prince Road in
the north. That means on ramps AND off ramps. You cannot get on, or
off, the highway, anywhere in downtown or central Tucson.

Frontage Road and Freeway (the service roads on either side of the
highway) have been temporarily widened and will take the brunt of the
traffic. For those of you flying in, you will either need to drive all
the way through town from the airport, or take I-10 part way, and then
exit at 29th Street and make your way up Frontage Road to your
destination. If you're staying in the north (Orange Grove, Ina, etc.)
those exits are open as normal. So, it's going to take longer than
usual to get where you want to go.

This Arizona Department of Transportation site has a very helpful map
and other info:

http://www.i10tucsondistrict.com/29toP.html

Here is a useful FAQ for first time visitors:

http://www.visittucson.org/visitor/events/gemshow/faq/

Parking is going to be particularly difficult this year, so you may
wish to consider using the free Gem Ride shuttle. You can download a
PDF route map from here:

http://www.visittucson.org/visitor/events/gemshow/shuttle/

  It's also been a little chillier than usual so far this year. Your
regular shorts and sandals might not be enough. Consider checking the
local weather before you leave:

http://www.weatherunderground.com/US/AZ/Tucson/KTUS.html

To get the most out of the 2008 show be sure to pick up your free copy
of the indispensable "Tucson EZ-Guide." This is the original, friendly,
portable show guide. This year's book is 192 pages, with floor plans
and contact info for all 44 shows, exclusive maps of Greater Tucson
with all show locations indicated, a complete vendor list of every
seller in Tucson, shuttle maps, insider tips from a lifelong show
professional, staff picks of "must-see" events and vendors, a hip
restaurant guide, and a thrilling feature article that you will all
want to read (more on that next time). Yes, I work on the "EZ-Guide,"
which is why I know it's the best guide out there : )

30,000 copies are being printed and they will be distributed free at
all show venues, as well as at the airport, and other locations.

More to follow.

Regards,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org

p.s. If anyone needs last-minute show accommodation, let me know. I
have a couple of leads.