[meteorite-list] Mecurian Meteorite????

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:33:39 -0500

Hi Pete and all,

Perhaps with the Messenger Mission we'll be able to narrow down and know
more accurately what a Mercurian
Meteorite is made of. While we sample many specimens from the asteroid
belt, there is no doubt many more asteroids we don't sample and may
represent unique types that we have never seen, seen only once or wait
to be discovered. Perhaps left overs from worlds that were forming only
to be destroyed by a major impact with another larger body or even
planetismo. I am sure, waiting out in various parts of the solar system,
are surprises that will boggle scientific minds if and when they are found.

In the mean time some of the unique specimens in our collections that
don't seem to make sense could be remnants from some of the earliest
collisions in our system and who knows if there might not be left overs
from first generation stars.

I think that Weir's page defines well what to look for as does McSween
book Meteorite and their Parent Planets. My best to all.

--AL Mitterling