[meteorite-list] New guy introduces himself with a couple of questions

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:58:55 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2008 9:57:39 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
michael_w_gilmer at yahoo.com writes:

1) The IMCA. Is this group for private collectors, or
just for collector/dealers who also sell specimens? I
was looking over the IMCA website and I read the
bylaws - and it appears to be a group of mostly
dealers who police each other and police the general
meteorite market looking for frauds and
misclassifications, etc. Is there any advantage to
joining the IMCA as a private collector with no
intention to become a dealer? And if so, how does one
go about joining and getting "two members to vouch for
you", if you are a total newbie to the field and don't
have two vouchers? Do I just have to bide my time and
earn my chops like everyone else did I assume?

3) Getting specimen classified. Is there a preferred
place to have this done? I notice there are several
places that offer this service and they vary. Is
there one predominate service or are they all equally
authoritative?

Again, my sincere thanks to the group for providing
such a wealth of info and ads! - yes, I have been
buying some of your specimens - several of you. ;)

Regards and happy hunting!

Mike Gilmer

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the List, and I am glad you finally decided to come out of the
shadows. And if you have any questions, go ahead, just ask. Most of us on the
List are usually well-behaved.

As for the IMCA, yes, I am Vice-President, and one of the founding members.
The Association is open to anyone who supports the principle of Authenticity.
 If you have explored Ebay, or the Net, at all, you have probably noticed
that quite a few questionable or completely fake meteorites come on the market.
We try our best to educate the people selling those and to help them get
their "rocks" checked. Not just our Members. And we now have close to 250
members all over the world and they all guarantee that they will sell only
authentic meteorites to collectors like you. As for the 2 sponsoring members we
require, is your "mentor" a member? You say you have bought from several of us,
were they members? If you have any additional questions please email me
off-list.

As for the classification labs., most of them, and the most well-known, are
listed on the IMCA website. Personally I have dealt mostly with the University
 of Arizona in Tucson. But then I will be there in just a few days.
I certainly hope this will help.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com