[meteorite-list] Bob Verish's LA 002 Basaltic Shergottite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2008 18:04:55 UT

Hello Bob, List and Lovers of Martians ;-)

Wow, when I came home from school today, I found the package with
my two LA002 micros - #6 and #12 - on the kitchen table. See here
because it is a "must see" and because a few small pieces are still
available if you are quick:

http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/saw-cuttings/la-saw.htm

When I saw Bob's LA002 offer, I was immediately fascinated and captivated by
specimens #6 and #12 because of that gorgeous maskelynite "crystal" you can
see in the photo and because of that shock-induced melt pocket.

When I looked at the two tiny Martians under the microscope, I noticed the images
were a bit blurred. Oh well, ...I was so excited when I put the two pieces under my
microscope that I had forgotten to remove the protective plastic lens cover from the
objective lens :-(

After removing that protective cover, the LA002 Martians revealed their true glory
and I can tell you the pictures on Bob's website don't do these treasures justice!

Not only does #6 have *one* maskelynite crystal, it is graced all over with glassy,
limpid maskelynite. Breathtaking view!

The shock-induced melt pocket in #12 (probably type 2* and measuring ca. 2.5 x 2.5 mm)
is jet-black, vesicular, bubbly and looks very much like Australasian tektite glass or
like compact bubbly, frothy glass from the Ries Crater, Germany (locality: Zipplingen).

* Reference:

WALTON E.L.et al.(2002) Mineralogy and microtextures of melt pockets
in the Los Angeles basaltic shergottite (MAPS 37-7, 2002, p. A146).

I don't have to tell you how glad and how lucky I feel about being able to add
these two Martian beauties to my collection. Thank you, Bob, thanks a lot!

Best wishes,

Bernd