[meteorite-list] Holocene start impacts

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:44:12 -0500

Hi, EP, List,

    Mostly, I called it an "evidenceless" comet because
the argument has such weak and contradictory evidence
adavnced for it, and it's annoying. I was annoyed.

    A carbon-14 "bump" is proof something happened,
but the list of things that can produce one is long. It
allows the possiblity but does not restrict it to any one
possibility. A very long list.

    Likewise, the 514 microparticles found in Tunguska
trees with enrichments in heavy atoms of high atomic
weight (high-Z) suggest the soil was enriched in those
elements during the impact years. The authors think that
suggests a stoney asteroid. not a comet, but how would we
know what a comet's interior contains? No samples, in
contrast to asteroids of which we have plentiful samples.

    This evidence "implies;" it dosn't "prove" anything.
It could be from asteroids, or could be from comets, or
could be from cosmic dust, or could be from a volcano,
fer chrissake. (Remember, there's also a crypto-volcanic
theory of Tunguska, too.)

    And, notice from that website cited, they find NO
enrichment of iridium. It's not one of the 14 enriched
elements. No osmium, no other exotice elements we
use as markers of extraterrestriality. Why? Because the
sample is too small (514 microparticles), the instrument
xray spectrometer) too insensitive for the purpose, the
results are inconclusive.

    If there was more evidence, there would be more and
better results, or bigger evidence, or more dramatic
evidence... But there isn't. Hence, "evidenceless" comets
(or whatever).

    No fingerprints. Perfect Crime.

Sterling K. Webb