[meteorite-list] Camp Verde

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone -

Some info and some questions.

The feather blankets were extremely difficult to make, and of high value.
One important point is exactly what feathers were used to make them - If they were parrot feathers imported from Mexico, then its value would have been very very very high. Eagle feathers were also of very high value. And then so on down the list of feathers...

My first guess is that Eagle feathers might have been used. Perhaps the meteorite was seen as the result of a sky battle between Thunderbird and Unktena, sky serpents, or perhaps it was viewed as an offspring of Mother Earth returning home. Answering this is depth would require some study, and resources well beyond me right now.

The Camp Verde meteorite is presented as a transport from Canyon Diablo, but might it not be an outlying fragment? If so, then this has important implications for current hunting. Was there a stream, an air burst, or did larger fragments survive the impact blast in lenses and be ejected?

Or was Camp Verde a separate fall?

Using the C14 spike from Incal 98, the Barringer impact may be seen around 44,000 BCE, if memory serves. While the mountains north of Flagstaff were undoubtedly one of the earliest sites settled, with their permanent and abundant water supply in the snow cap and abundant game on the Little Colorado River nearby, and the C mitochondrial DNA crossing is now likely to have occurred shortly before that date, that the Canyon Diablo impact was seen and remembered does not seem likely to me.

It is up to the Zuni, Hopi, and Navajo elders to share what they want to share about other observed impacts and the ancient ones.

"The structure on the mesa" - I don't know if this was a regular dwelling, or perhaps more likely one of the southwest's observatory structures, with windows centered on astronomical events. I wonder what happened to the site?

Where is the Camp Verde meteorite today? Perhaps the best place for its display would be at "Montezeuma's Castle", the public site nearby. In any case, in my opinion the Camp Verde site and meteorite is the patrimony of all Arizonans, including those of Native American descent.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas