[meteorite-list] Ohio and Indiana gold, silver, and diamonds

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:37:05 -0500

Hi, EP, List,

EP wrote:
> I think the edge of the glacial maximum is
> well known to be north, so they are left looking
> for a transport mechanism.

    I will just quote from my Post of 07-03-08:
The drainage basin of the Ohio river shows plentiful
evidence of this. There are glacial deposits in Kentucky,
which is further south than Ohio (in case they haven't
looked south across the river from Cincinnati lately).
http://books.google.com/books?id=8eFSK4o--M0C&pg=PA376&lpg=PA376&dq=southernmost+glacial+erratic+US&source=web&ots=2NcIEXv_S_&sig=IGLmBdjw-oyZJUteovXiSv-FagA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result
(* The Kentucky glacial deposits are from an earlier
glaciation, not the Laurentide, but who knows when the
diamonds were deposited?)

    In ruling out glacial transport of diamonds, it is necessary
to rule out ALL glacial transport from Canada at any Pleistocene
time unless you have an in situ datable deposit ready to read.
The last glaciation was just that: the LAST one. There have
been four major ones over the last two million years.

    It's all recent history.

    Speaking of recent history, let's talk about meltwater (they
do). "Meltwater" means the Great Lakes. Before the glaciation,
they were a nice big Rift Valley, like in Africa. Here's a dated
graphic of the Great Lakes growth and the glaciers shrinkage
history in relation to size of lakes and position of the Ice Cap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Glacial_lakes.jpg
and another with the retreat in detail (third map down page):
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/EarthSC202Notes/GLACgeog.HTM

    You'll notice the ice didn't just "vanish." It retreated. It
took a long time doing it. The retreat is easily datable at
thousands of sites along the retreat. You'll note there's no
great, sudden flood, Noah, baby!

    There's another problem with this imaginary reconstruction
of the end of the Ice Age. I pointed out in a previous Post that
the Amazonian Rain Forest is NOT an ancient, primeval
feature but a Post-Glacial Development. The modern Earth
has many mighty continent-spanning features we think of as
ancient and primeval but that are only more Glacial or Post-Glacial
Developments, like the Sahara Desert and -- most important
here -- the Mississippi River and the ENTIRE drainage system
of the Americn Midwest.

    Before the Ice Age, ALL the rivers in the interior of the US,
from the Rockies to the Apalachians and south to Kentucky
and Missouri drained to the NORTH! They were short,
meandering and sluggish because the downslope gradient
was not great, but eventually most of them got to the
Arctic Ocean. Tracing the ancient water courses headed
north has been going on for a century; it's a great way to
train grad students...

    There were meltwater channels coming out from under
the glaciers and running south for a while, however the Ohio
glacer retreated early (see the graphics in the URL's above).
But from the north edge of Ohio to the Ohio River, it's all
UPHILL.

    My experience? It's hard to persuade rivers to run uphill.

Sterling K. Webb