[meteorite-list] Fwd: 5:15 UT slow, bright Mediterranean bolide

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:15:13 -0400

Hi List, Rob, and everyone who held their breath on this one,

Please read the other half of the story - from none other than our
favorite satellite and comet bagger, Rob Matson !!!

Best wishes and better luck next time:(
Doug

PS God help us if Rob ever defects ... thanks again and I trust it was
good work!
===========================
Hi Doug,

Please feel free to forward this to the Meteorite list for me...

I just did a quick check on this, suspecting it might be a satellite
re-entry. ... it was travelling east-to-west!", let me add that it was
actually ~because~ it was travelling east to west AND passing over
Israel that a lightbulb went off in my head. Israeli satellites are
always launched in retrograde orbits, and I thought it would be an
amusing case of karma if this turned out to be one of their own.

Well, in short, it was:

Shavit R/B, USSPACECOM #31602, launched some time in 2007.

I just plotted its trajectory as seen from Jerusalem, and bingo.

--Rob