[meteorite-list] Re Cu meteorite

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:22:44 -0600

Many fireballs, especially slow ones, show strongly green. This has nothing
to do with the composition of the body, however (meteor colors in general
are not strongly related to composition). The green color is the 558nm
forbidden oxygen line. Slower meteors are not as hot, so their intrinsic
thermal (blackbody) radiation is less likely to swamp out the atmospheric
emission.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory