[meteorite-list] Send the ISS to the moon

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 01:32:56 +0000

The idea of re-using space hardware is great one and has been done before. Unfortunately the ISS cannot simply be ferried out of earth orbit. This would require a massive propulsion retrofit to slingshot it to the moon or elsewhere. Even then, the ISS could not handle the structural stress of such a task. It was designed to be a stationary satellite and cannot 'fly' without massive structural reinforcements.

Perhaps we can re-use some of the modules instead of the entire structure. Build a vehicle that can support the modules and travel to the moon and beyond. Shouldn't everything be modular anyway? That was the beauty of the ISS...

For now, I say let Lance Bass pay his 10 Million to float some cheesy pop records in space.

Best,

Mike Bandli

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse at charter.net>