[meteorite-list] meteorite hunting in Western Australia

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:27:25 +0200

Thanks for all the tips about Western Australian meteorites and tektites.
I haven't answered most of the mails I got, I'm a bit sporadically
connected to the net while on the road but I read all and appreciate
them. I have taken your advice in consideration.

Advices ranged from "you are not allowed to touch them" to "Strange
rocks are okay to collect"... even from one of the staff of the Perth
Museum. "Put it in your pocket and don't tell anyone" was his reply...
and then he laughed, "I've been in the desert all my life and I've never
seen a meteorite. Good luck!"

I will still go east to see Kalgoorlie and the mining towns in the
desert. I will hunt for some australites and see if I can find any good
mineral collecting places. Dig for some gold and just have a nice time.
If I happens to stumble onto a suspected meteorite then I have to decide
if I just leave it or bring it back to the museum. So far none have been
able to cite the law so all I have is advice... guess it all boils down
to common sense.
I have a GPS, extra batteries, zip lock bags and a pen to mark the bags.
So if I happens to find a meteorite then I can take good care of it and
deliver it to the museum.

/Goran