[meteorite-list] New Toluca scam on ebay - a formula to detect metwrongs

From: m42protosun at aol.com <m42protosun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:09:37 -0400

Hello Michael,
I agree with you. Pieces of Magnetite/Hematite are the most often
offered meteoritewrongs sold to newcomers.
Because I'm a beginner to I've bought even from two IMCA members two
pieces of 'Mekong river iron' as Nantans.
Month later I detected that they were wrongs. Asking for money back
makes them very angry but I won.
The easiest formula for detecting offers of iron wrongs is to estimate
the specific density. Most seller declare length, depth and hight anf
weight of the item.

Calculate now V = (L x D x H x Pi / 6). This is the nearest estimated
volume of an inlet speroid, that means a little more less in volume.
Divide now the given weight by this value and you get a specifiv
density which is hiigher then the original. If this value is less than
7.5 this must be a meteoritewrong if is a big piece ore it is only
shale if it is a small piece.

With this formula I'm "hunting" fake sellers on ebay.

Sincerely Uwe

-----Urspr?ngliche Mitteilung-----