[meteorite-list] [IMCA] A Feeling Of Shame

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

I have watched this for the last few weeks, and I have decided not to participate for the simple reason that there seems to be a clique that has has formed over the last 6 or 7 years, one made up of a few people who seem to think that they have a mandate to take control of these charity donation/money raising issues and run them how they see fit. There is often a demand for participation, and denouncement behind the backs of those who do not donate, I find this repulsive. I do not like to be shamed into anything, and certainly am offended to the point of going to the opposite direction. The perception that dealers have tons of money and material just laying the garbage heap makes me sick. I have lots of meteorites, and no money right now, I know many of us are in the same boat, sales are in the crapper due to the financial genius of our government and the absolute greed of our wealthy businessmen and corporations. So please do not pretend to know my
 financial situation because I have a website filled with meteorites, at this time I am finding it difficult to pay my own bills, much less someone elses.

I no longer trust giving other people my meteorites, and having them be in charge of selling them/auctioning them. I will not discuss the specifics, but I know that wrongdoing has taken place in the meteorite world with such "donations". I do not like silent auctions, gimmicks, charity auctions where email or phone bidding take place, out of sight and oversight everyone. Ebay sales with payments directly to Gary Foote would ease these concerns and halt any chance of fraud taking place. Many of us are having problems, my wife lost her job last month while I was in Europe. She is on unemployment, a whopping $240.00 per week in Arizona, which barely pays for a couple tanks of gas these days. I know of many other list members who are having financial and medical problems in silence, no help for them is coming.

There is nothing wrong with organizing or aksing for help with a fellow list member, but while you may night recognize it, sometimes the way these things are done can really rub people the wrong way.
Michael Farmer