[meteorite-list] Online Source of Free Landsat and other aerial imagery

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:58:05 -0400

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:42:40 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Below is a web page, which appeared on a geography
>and geomorphology mailing list. I though it might be
>useful for people interested in meteorites and impact
>craters.

Hope those aren't pirate photos of the Earth!

(Another bit of idiocy from the idiots who run our govenrment below-- oops,
political!)

http://rescommunis.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/noaa-open-letter-to-google-lunar-x-prize-participants/

NOAA Open Letter to Google Lunar X PRIZE Participants
July 24, 2008 at 1:55 pm | In Space Law |

by P.J. Blount with the blog faculty

NOAA has issued an open letter to Google X Prize Participants on its licensing
regime (hat tip The Launch Pad):

Dear Google Lunar X PRIZE Participant:

As part of your effort to win the Google Lunar X PRIZE, will your entry or any
related facilities be capable of actively or passively sensing the Earth?s
surface, including
bodies of water, from space by making use of the properties of the
electromagnetic waves emitted, reflected, or diffracted by the sensed objects?

If so, and if your team is based wholly or partially in the USA, you may need to
apply for a license from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA). This is because Land Remote Sensing Policy Act of 1992 and its
implementing regulations require any person subject to the jurisdiction or
control of the United States who operates or proposes to operate a private
remote sensing space system that images the Earth, and/or establishes
substantial connections with the United States regarding the operation of such a
system to obtain a license from NOAA.

If you think this may apply to your team, NOAA strongly encourages you to
contact us for a non-binding consultation at:
Email: noaa.crsl at noaa.gov
Phone: 301-713-2024 ext 213/202

Obtaining a license can take up to 120 days once application is received by
NOAA.

Should you wish to review the regulations, found at 15 CFR Part 960, describing
NOAA?s licensing and regulation of such systems, they are available online at:
http://www.licensing.noaa.gov/reference.html.