[meteorite-list] [AD] Major Site Update + Ebay Tonight + A Tucson Moment

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:43:40 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings all, from hot and sunny Tucson. "Summer" is well upon us
here. We've already had a couple of 100+ F days. Pretty different from
when you are here visiting during the gem show. The snakes and
scorpions are up and about and I've seen a few of each.

A Tucson moment I would like to share with you: I was out walking the
other evening and came across a very large bull snake curled up in the
road. He was taking a nap and wasn't pleased when I woke him up. I
said: "Come on buddy, you can't sleep here. Some redneck will come
along in a truck any minute and run you over." He didn't want to move
and started hissing at me. I was clapping and jumping up and down and
trying to get him out of harm's way when an elderly miner 49er-type
guy with long white beard suddenly appeared -- as if from nowhere --
out of the brush next to the road, with a tin mug in his hand.

"Whatcha doing feller?"

"Well, I'm trying to get this snake out of the road before he gets
hurt."

"Yep! He can't sleep there or some redneck'll come along and squish
him fer sure."

So, between us, we eventually manage to coax the big snake back into
the brush and then the old miner guy disappeared himself into a
thicket of mesquite trees after assuring me that we would have "good
karma" for helping the snake. Only in Tucson.

And before that, I took an uncharacteristically long and very overdue
vacation, so if anyone's been trying to reach me, sorry about that.
Even I don't work *all* the time, and the laptop wasn't faring too
well on the road : )

Back to business: On Friday we completed the largest-ever single
update to Aerolite.org.

New additions include Gibeon, Toluca, Henbury, Mundrabilla, Chinga,
Sikhote-Alin, Canyon Diablo, really nice pre-NWA Labenne Sahara stones
with hand painted field numbers, oriented Millbillillies with 100%
crust and tons of flow lines, complete crusted NWA stones, Libyan
Desert Glass including some super-rare green specimens, excellent
moldavites, historic Odessas found by Captain Draeger in the 1940s --
a U.S. Navy officer who was a friend and close associate of Nininger's
-- and even some Darwin Glass.

Our main sale catalogue directory is here: http://www.aerolite.org/meteorites-for-sale.htm

Or you can view all new additions on one easy-to-use page here: http://www.aerolite.org/new.htm

You'll notice that a few pieces are already reserved. They were
snapped up by friends and colleagues on my preferred customer mailing
list. My personal list members always get advance notice of
interesting new material. If you'd like to be part of that list just
send me an email. No cost, no obligation, no spam, and you can unsub
at any time.

Most of the Draeger Odessas went really fast. I have a few more, not
yet photographed, so let me know if you want one and we'll take some
shots for you. Every Draeger Odessa comes with an exclusive vintage
photo reproduction of Cpt. Draeger and one of his large Odessa finds,
taken in 1947.

My News & Adventures page has also been updated with info about our
Nat Geo show, and some Tucson 2008 photos:

http://www.aerolite.org/news.htm

Thank you to everyone who supported Dr. Art Ehlmann of TCU and myself
by ordering copies of the Oscar E. Monnig Meteorite Collection
Catalog, which Art authored, and I designed and published. We had a
few problems along the way -- delay with the slipcase manufacture;
damage to many of the slipcases; and numerous copies, especially going
overseas, were lost in the mail. I believe we have replaced all lost
copies at our expense. If anyone ordered a copy from us and didn't yet
receive it (apart from last week's orders) please let me know and
we'll make good on it. Anyone who thinks publishing museum catalogs is
a good way to make money, think again : )

I still have a few of the Deluxe Editions, limited to 100 copies,
signed and numbered by Dr. Ehlmann, with slipcase and an exclusive
custom portrait photo of Oscar Monnig, courtesy of Oscar's god
daughter. If you want one, please let me know soon. Regular and
Slipcase editions, we still have a good supply.

Details: http://www.aerolite.org/monnig-catalog.htm

And finally, a few eBay auctions ending in about an hour, including
Carancas, Darwin Glass, 100% crusted Bassikounou, Vaca Muerta, and a
Jim Kriegh / Twink Monrad Gold Basin.

All lots with no reserve: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZaerolitemeteorites

Thanks for listening and kind regards from the Wild West,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.campometeorites.com