[meteorite-list] Am I missing something here?

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:24:37 -0600

Hi All,

Twice in the past few days, I found myself staring at the screen in
confused disbelief. The two statements in sales ads:

"a yet unclassified CO3"

and

"absolutely rare type L3.05 !"

just seem to me to border on absurdity. How can a unclassified
specimen be identified by its classification?

And if we carry petrological grade to the hundredths, then
theoretically we could have over 1500 ordinary chondrite designations
not to mention all the transitional possibilities. I fail to see how
that level of hypothetical opinionated hair splitting could do any
good...except for ebay sales ads that is.

Just an evening though when I should be working on something else.

Cheers,

Martin