[meteorite-list] Sikhote Alin Help

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 05:12:39 -0700

Well,
        Not EXACTLY:
        In the US, the Enlish word, "Value" is most often translated
To mean what is the dollar amount someone will pay (the Free
Enterprise system is based on what Anthropologists refer to as
"negative exchange" - each side is attempting to get the better
Deal in an interaction). In such a system, DOLLAR "value" is strictly
What one will pay. (this should NOT be confused with what one
Individual pays at an auction - which can be very much lower or
Very much higher than the overall "market." - try to sell the Claxton
Mailbox at the Tucson Show for $83K - yet two different buyers
Valued it so at one particular time at one event (very most likely
Not meteorite collectors - at least not prior to the auction - if they
Were, they were beginners with staggering amounts of wealth - it
Could even have been a personal "challenge" between them - a delight
For any seller at an auction - what does it matter to an actor or
Other public figure earning over $10Mil/yr to spend such money) -
But that does not a market make - however, on that day, in that
Context, that is exactly what that mailbox was "worth."
        However, we often forget that "true" "value" is the importance
We, ourselves place on an item, relationship, etc.
        Personally, I am staggered at the cost of even modestly "status"
Cars and women's shoes. I certainly do not "value" them like many,
Many others.
        The point is, everything has a value ONLY in the eye of the
Beholder - a "market" is when many have a similar "eye" regarding
Given items.
        But I suppose this is all clearly understood, and just not spoken.
        Best wishes, Michael