[meteorite-list] Lighten up, it's just semantics

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:03:12 -0600

I'm reminded of something that happened after the great Montrose fireball on
Thanksgiving 2002. As usual, I was receiving calls from newspapers and TV
stations. However, being a big holiday, all the news staffers were pretty
much interns, with little experience. I answered a bunch of questions for a
reporter at the Rocky Mountain News, and next day was shocked to find myself
identified in the paper as "an astrologer from Guffey". Worse, this was also
posted online, and in this day of Google, the last thing I wanted was that
association! So I called the RMN editor, and asked him to change the wording
in their online archives. "Oh, no!", he said, "We can't change archives". I
asked him what they would do if they had accidentally called a photographer
a pornographer. He got the point, and they changed the archives.

Chris