[meteorite-list] Using GIS for Meteorite Hunting and Study

From: Del Waterbury <paseclipse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:03:29 -0700 (PDT)

One huge difference between Google Earth and all the other GIS software packages I've seen so far (except a few) is the fact that I don't have to fork out 5,000+ dollars to use it... Google Earth only costs me 20 bucks a year.

Don't get me wrong because I'd love to use the high end GIS software (especially since I use high end CAD software at work), but that's a very steep price to pay just to plot out coordinates of my finds.

Del