[meteorite-list] Using GIS for Meteorite Hunting and Study

From: Paul <bristolia_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

McCartney Taylor wrote

"I, too, am a GIS person. Since Land ownership &
GIS has just been brought up, I have to take this
one step farther and mention good & free
GIS packages."

I do not bother with ESRI as a GIS program even though
where I work has a group license for it. It takes a long,
long
time to learn how to work. Instead, I use Global Mapper,
which only costs about 300.00 dollars and is very easy to
use and does what I need it to do. Also, their support
people, not only return email and other inquiries about
problems, they typically do it the same day that you
contact them. More information can be found at:

Global Mapper - http://www.globalmapper.com/

It does a spectacular job with Digital Elevation Models
(DEMs)
especially those made from LIDAR data. Some examples of
DEMs made from the LIDAR data can be seen in "The
Scotlandville, Denham Springs, and Baton Rouge Faults - A
Map Guide for Real Estate Buyers, Sellers, and Developers
in
the Greater Baton Rouge Area" at

http://www.lgs.lsu.edu/deploy/uploads/BRFaultsGuide.pdf

Yours,