[meteorite-list] Speck Issues - Reply to this subject

From: Mark <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:04:22 -0500

Hi Don
I learned the same way, only trying to put them in the gem jar and they
would slide to the side, so carefully, I remove the top, and it's like
there's some obscure law of Captain Murphy's that says the smaller it item,
the further it will travel.
Now, I also collect diamonds when I find a cheap supply, and break out my
fluorescent lamp to look for those that glow. Let me tell you, those little
buggers can move so fast as you exhale (we're talking 1/2-1 point size
crystals here and basically industrial quality) cause you don't realize how
close you really are with optivisors on.
And my meteorite specks are the same way. I now use a white plastic tray and
a much smaller white plastic tray inside that when I sort out specks of
anything! And, I have a rare earth magnet in a zip lock bag for any of my
meteorite specks that try to get out of that.

Mark Ferguson