[meteorite-list] Speck Issues - Reply to this subject

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:56:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi Michael,

Curious if this issue on the speck debate has come up
before. In the case of "hammer" specks trust in the
seller is paramont since we're dealing mostly with
ordinary chondrites. With yourself and all the other
established dealers, that trust is above question.

Now, hypothesize that some collector like myself buys
a speck of some hard to get hammer for his collection
from an established dealer and a few weeks later,
obtains a much larger piece. (This has happened more
times than I's like to admitt). Now I want to sell
the speck I bought. I submitt that it is now actually
worth less now because, all things being equal, I'm
not as well known, the speck is not easily verifiable,
and it is one step removed from the original dealer i
purchased it from. So the risk of the speck being
fake to a new buyer, however small, increases. And
you've heard the arguments..."I'll only buy from
establisked dealers", so the pool of potential buyers
has also shrunk, further lessoning its value. I think
this "depreciation" becomes much less as the size of
the specimen increases and one can identify
characteristic textural and mineralogical features.

Boy, it's a good thing I'm in this for the joy of
meteorites than for investment purposes!!

That's my 2 cents...I'm done.

All the best,
Frank

=== message truncated ===