[meteorite-list] ORIENTATION Re: March 4 RSPOD Oriented (sic) 32kg stone

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:12:11 -0800 (PST)

Agreed and put far better than I, Darryl-- and that was the point to my
post-- not attacking anyone and definitely not attacking anyone in
particular. When "oriented" is unquantified then anything and
everything could be oriented. I can't download the Dave sent me but I
am comfortable that he did not use "oriented" uninformed.

I've been criticized for criticizing Dave and I want to assure Dave and
the list that was not the intended purpose of my rant. I was relying
on two things to pose my soapbox essay. The use of "oriented" when any
surface features other than a fresh crack on fresh fusion crust is not
apparent in the photo selected for illustrating "orientation". Note I
did not say it wasn't oriented-- I only asked that the use of the term
with the meteorite in the photo be explained/justified. OK I score
another point for brashness. Mia Culpa.

Hope this has a positive impact on the need for codified definitions
across the board when it comes to describing meteorites.