[meteorite-list] Meteorite list

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:05:07 -0700

Hi Pete-

Just a few comments. Be careful mixing meteoroid, asteroid, and comet-
especially comet. People are confused enough as it is between comets and
meteors. Realistically, meteoroids, asteroids, and comets are different
things (even though an asteroid or comet could become a meteor, and
therefore be considered a meteoroid, such an event is happily very
rare).

The proper term for a very bright meteor, including one that explodes,
is "fireball". Bolide isn't officially recognized, although some people
use it synonymously with fireball. Teach "fireball" as the IAU
recognized term, and bolide as a secondary term with several meanings,
that they may see used as well.

Collectors refer to themselves as "collectors". People who study meteors
or meteorites scientifically are called meteoriticists (not
meteoricists). Some collectors are meteoriticists, but not all.
Similarly, not all meteoriticists are collectors.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com