[meteorite-list] getting oriented on orientation

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:17:01 +0000

Great suggestions, Darryl. I would go even a little less complicated and suggest a 3 number rating system. Here are some quick, nut-shell definitions:

O3 - Completely oriented: Obvious and conclusive evidence that the meteorite stabilized during entire flight.

O2 - Partially Oriented: Evidence that the meteorite stabilized during most of flight, but also tumbled of axis.

O1 - Some Orientation: Evidence that the meteorite stabilized briefly at one or several different points during flight, but tumbled majority of flight.

No Orientation - If no orientation is present, then there is probably no need to mention it in description.

Other considerations: Where does 'dual orientation' fit in? I have had numerous Sikhotes that have had 'bullets' or 'buttons' on both ends - evidence that the they flopped like a pancake and partially stabilized on both opposing edges.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Best,

Mike Bandli
www.Astro-Artifacts.com