[meteorite-list] Intro Email

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:26:38 -0700

> A METEORID is a METEORITE that is still in space.

Not really. A meteoroid is simply the physical object that produces a
meteor. Most never become meteorites. The object may be called a
meteoroid while it is still in space (but destined to encounter the
Earth), or the burning particle itself may be called that. Sometimes,
particles with the potential to become meteors (as in Earth intersecting
debris) are also called meteoroids.

I usually teach that small bodies (about 1mm to several meters)
encountering the Earth are meteoroids. Any material that reaches the
ground is a meteorite. A meteor is the visible effect of ablation of the
meteoroid in the atmosphere. A fireball is a bright meteor, typically
brighter than Venus (this is apparent brightness, so a fireball for one
observer may not be for another). Some people use bolide to mean the
same thing, but some use bolide only for meteors that fragment or
explode, and some use the term to include not just the meteor, but the
meteoroid itself. Meteoroids are rock, or occasionally iron, which have
either been broken off of asteroids or freed from comets (or very
rarely, knocked off the Moon or another planet). While either an
asteroid or comet could produce a meteor, that would be a rare event,
probably crater forming or otherwise very disruptive, and I doubt most
people would refer to either as a meteoroid in that case.

A lot of terms used in meteoritics don't have formal definitions, so
usage can be a bit variable.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory