[meteorite-list] New Fall

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:15:43 -0600

Hi Matthias, and List,

Matthias wrote:
> From Texas: Down there? Vineyard? ---> Chile?

CHILE???!

I'm guessing that a good many of you might be surprised to learn that there
are a fair number of vineyards in Texas, mostly west Texas, that have been
producing excellent wines for several decades now. And, yes, we're famous
for oil wells, too. It turns out that this west Texas dirt/sand is not
only good
for oil, but is compatible with cattle (and a few sheep) and also grows
grapes
very well, too.

My wife and myself have enjoyed these fine wines for many years. They're
priced very reasonably compared to imported wines since they're produced
and bottled within a couple of hundred miles in almost any direction of my
home here in Odessa, Texas. We are fortunate to be able to buy these wines
from a discount wholesaler several cases at a time. Over the years we have
drank some excellent Portuguese, French, German and California wines.
These Texas wines are on a par with the best of the imports (and cheap!)
Many thanks are due to the fellows at Texas A&M (Agricultural and
Mechanical) University for the extensive work they have done over the years
to make Texas a competitive wine producing country.

CHILE, indeed!

As our tourism advertising slogan says, "Texas - a whole 'nuther country."

Since McCartney ranges far and wide in his meteorite searches throughout
Texas and Mexico my bet would be either USA/Texas or Mexico (there's
some fine vineyards there, as well.)

My congratulations to McCartney for tracking down yet another meteorite.
He's been busy emulating H.H. Nininger for some years now with productive
results to show for his efforts. Shows what a little hustle will do.

Best regards,

Jerry W.

PS... Speaking of Chile, that reminds me, Texas IS the number one producer
of the world's finest CHILI. Y'all come on down and I'll spot you to a bowl
of Texas Red (chili and wine) before we hit the desert in search of
those plentiful
Texas meteorites.

----- Original Message ----- From: "mccartney"
<mccartney at blackbearddata.com>