[meteorite-list] Alcohol, meteorite-related, and a bit more...

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:36:45 +0100

Yes, Apple Wine is a proudly cherished specialty in some places here, as is the German beer and the "Bratwurst". Another famous US meteorite dealer on this list would surely confirm this right away, if he was inclined to make a statement about it... :-)

The bright documented nighttime fireball, seen (...and heard with bangs and rolling thunder...) over Italy, Switzerland and Germany, may well have dropped meteorites in a region close to the Swiss/German border or even more probably in South Germany. The "usual suspects" are on their way to investigate, as far as I know. Unfortunately skies were mostly cloudy over wide areas at the moment the fireball occured, but there seem to be a lot of witnesses of the spectacle to be interviewed, so this may be tracked down more closely. If any meteorites have fallen into the Bodensee lake, they will rest in peace there. But this must not necessarily be so and hunters should hurry, as the climate is everything but dry here these days....

Alex
Berlin/Germany