[meteorite-list] Meteorite fragment stolen from museum

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:37:51 -0500

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:01:13 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

>Looks like a slice of Muonionalusta (iron meteorite
>from Sweden) probably. Keep an eye on your emails or
>ebay if you have requests from someone who want to
>sell a 12-by-16-inch slice...

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/16752091.html

Stolen meteorite returned to Lakeville museum
Tribune Staff Report

LAKEVILLE ? The slice of meteorite stolen two weeks ago from the Joshua Tree
Museum has been found ? for sale at a gun show.

Terry Boswell, the museum?s founder, said a friend and fellow meteorite
collector was offered the meteorite in Indianapolis on Saturday.

The friend, who happened to own a slice from the same meteorite, told the seller
his merchandise was stolen and called Boswell to inform him of the find.

Boswell said the seller left the gun show before he could be questioned by
police.

Boswell said he is relieved to have the meteorite back at the museum, and it?s
his hope charges will be brought against the man who tried to sell it.

"They say finding a meteorite is a one-in-a-million chance," Boswell said. "I
didn?t think we?d have even that one-in-a-million chance of recovering it. I
figured someone would cut it up or hide it. I never thought I?d see it again."