[meteorite-list] Meteorite market trends - a critical note

From: Rob Lenssen <rlenssen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:13:42 +0100

Dear List,

I'm a meteorite collector since 1991, and have personally witnessed the
start of the flood of Saharan meteorites. I think all these - also rare -
Saharan meteorites becoming available for us collectors, was/is very
possitive.

Collecting is investing. Every collector wants to see the value of his
collection stay sable at the least. So I very much want to believe recent
mails stating the value of meteorites are on the rise again.

However. The ebay auction referred to below is my latest experience of the
contrary. This is just one example.
This really good meteorite didn't sell at a starting price of only
$0.22/gram (or approx. Euro 0.14/gram). Especially for Euro countries this
is a bottom price (or even lower). Or am I mistaken in stating this?

Just my thoughts,
Regards,
Rob Lenssen