[meteorite-list] Further thoughts

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:53:03 -0600

Hi Bob-

Even small meteoroids don't heat up inside during their brief meteor
phase. Ablation is simply too efficient at carrying away heat. Also,
it's doubtful any significant gas pockets exist in meteoroids.

There are quite a few videos of meteors breaking up, and they don't seem
to show anything like true explosions. I've recorded perhaps 100 events
bright enough to show fragmentation, and the fragments always appear to
continue along substantially the same path.

BTW, the space environment isn't particularly cold. The interior of
meteoroids varies from tens of degrees below freezing to tens of degrees
above.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory