[meteorite-list] Meteorite market trends - a critical note

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:21:57 +0100

Hehe, compromise between Al & Darren?

The meteorite dealer:
http://www.payer.de/arbeitkapital/arbeitkapitallogo.gif

The meteorite collector:
http://www.hegel-system.de/de/gif/5_5.jpg

....we'll try our best.
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com] Im Auftrag von Darren
Garrison
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. M?rz 2008 19:22
An: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Betreff: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorite market trends - a critical note

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:02:57 -0500, you wrote:

>certainly entitled to wish for what he wants but I see it as a
>unrealistic and it is at this time. I simply disagree with with him. The
>_market_ determines the price along with many factors. Posting messages
>here on the list it seems someone will always twist things around in
>ways you never thought they could.

Cuts both ways-- I didn't anticipate you twisting my fantasy about how I
WISHED
things could be as being "unrealistic". "Unrealistic" seems to me to imply
that
you thought that I thought that there could be some chance of that
happening,
and you had to lecture me on how I was wrong. I was simply replying to the
statement that all collectors want the prices to remain stable. I disagree
with
that. People truly obsessed with collecting something care only about
getting
more of the something-- and the lower the prices go, the better. I brought
up
the computer analogy: do I cry over once paying $40 a megabyte for RAM,
$3.00 a
megabyte for HD space, when now it costs $40 a gigabyte for RAM and 3 GB to
the
dollar for HD space? (Roughly-- rounded for symmetry). Do I care that I'll
never recoup the thousands paid on that old hardware? Heck no! And the
same
goes for meteorites-- if I paid $500 a gram for a lunar, and suddenly enough
lunar material hit the market that I could buy 500 grams for a dollar, would
cry that I'd never get back the money I spent on the original material?
Nope,
I'd gleefully buy lots of it at the new price. When I buy something, I
intend
to keep it for the rest of my life, so I don't care about the value of
something
once I have it. (I've given away a few meteorites, but I've never sold one
of
mine, probably never will. When it comes time to give them up, I'll donate
them
all to a small museum or college or something). So, if prices crash, bring
it
on!

>I'll walk you through my thoughts on what I was trying to say. Darren,
>wants to be able to buy meteorites by the truck load. I compared that to
>my desire to be able to buy automobiles cheaper than they are now as an
>example.

Oh, I also wish that all material goods were esentially free (and thus, as
you
mentioned, all traditional economies totally collapse). I don't expect that
world to come about, but it is the one that I want to live in.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_scarcity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whuffie