[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 26, 2008 / Ques

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:19:27 -0700

on 3/26/08 1:04 PM, Anita D. Westlake at libawc at emory.edu wrote:
> What if a meteorite hit a hammer on the way down? Would that be a hammer
> hammer? Or, a hammer to the second power?
> Anita
-----
Hi Anita and all,
        First of all, I think you meant if a meteorite hit a hammer
When it came to earth - "on the way down" would require a hammer
That had been lost in orbit (from the space station or the like) and
Was descending through the atmosphere.
        So assuming the meteorite hits a hammer (one lying in the yard
Or the like. The meteorite would be a "hammer" - the hammer would
Just remain a hammer. ("Hammer stone" is a misnomer derived from
The term "hammer" and like saying "a car car.")
        Best wishes, Michael - the Hammer Head