[meteorite-list] Time delay: Park Forest / Mar 01 Eyewitness Report

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:57:20 -0600

Hi Bernd-

Having taken literally thousands of fireball reports, I'll observe that
very few people can accurately estimate the time between a flash and
subsequent sonic boom. For a single event, different witnesses will-
with absolute confidence- give times ranging from a few seconds to many
minutes. Of course, witness reports giving the timing between fireballs
and falls are much rarer, but there's little reason to think that the
reported times will be more accurate. It's nice when you have a case
like the guy in the car to allow the timing to be recreated, but that's
usually not the situation.

In the end, I take almost everything reported by witnesses with a strong
dose of skepticism.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory