[meteorite-list] Tektite fields and rotation

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:57:50 -0400

Hi Goran, Chris (and Larry L, who sent and excellent private reply),
Coriolirees,

The Paris Gun alledgedly demonstrated that shooting heavy oriented
shells at 1.6 km/s required a 1% correction over 130 kilometers range
for their particular situation. However, I tend to agree with Goran in
that wind, in a practical sense, will trump Coriolis effect for all but
*possibly* the Australaiian event and as I already mentioned earlier
"more complex effects" in relation to Chicxulub type impacts on Earth.
The first reference has the illustration of the Chespeake Bay Crater
which fits nicely with the discussion in my original post - the first
several hundred kilometers of ejecta really aren't too influences and
then we have everything else to worry about.

My though was Mars, due to its smaller radius and similar angular
rotational rate, and the absense of much atmosphere, might be a
different ball of wax. I found a paper on Coriolis influenced Earth
Crater Tektite Ejecta by the Mars crater Coriolis experts. In my
ignorance, it seems these researchers are on the right track, but still
have a lot of explaining to do to be convincing with the black box
model's assumptions. There is apparently a Mars crater mentioned in
their literature that has observed 600 km rays slightly pinwheeled (my
inaccurate word). I'll list some references from Kelly [Wilbur-]Wrobel,
who started as a grad student in Peter Schultz's group. They've studies
the tektite situation on Mars to death and have involked the Coriolis
effect to explain things including where very high energy distant
ejecta may concentrate.

Sorry for the long post, and best wishes, (references follow)
Doug

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2003/pdf/1190.pdf
THE EFFECT OF ROTATION ON THE DEPOSITION OF TERRESTRIAL IMPACT EJECTA.
K.E.
Wrobel and P.H. Schultz, Department of Geological Sciences, Brown
University

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2002/pdf/1728.pdf
2004.P Wrobel, K. W. and P. H. Schultz (2004), The Effect of the
Coriolis Force on Distal
Ejecta across Mars, Jour. Geophys. Res., vol. 109 (2004)

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/2386.pdf
The generation and distribution of martian impact melt/glass: A
computational study with implications for
the nature of dark surface materials. K. E. Wrobel and P. H. Schultz

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/sixthmars2003/pdf/3242.pdf
ACCUMULATION OF DISTAL IMPACT EJECTA ON MARS SINCE THE HESPERIAN. K. E.
Wrobel
and P. H. Schultz