[meteorite-list] Rock on the ground or not?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:54:00 -0600

Ah. So you're saying that you observed a stationary meteor, that didn't
appear to move across the sky at all? If so, that's the one special case
where you can accurately estimate the fall angle from a single
viewpoint. If the meteor's apparent altitude was +76?, then that is
indeed the fall angle (which is too steep to make this a promising
candidate for meteorite production).

Being so high in the sky also lets you narrow down both the distance and
the speed. The long duration suggests a slow speed, and a final height
of 30km would be a reasonable estimate. So that would place the end of
the meteor around 7km away from you, on the azimuth of the event. If
something survived, however, it would have continued to fall at a low
speed for several minutes, subject to the effects of the wind. Any
meteorites that landed could have been in any direction from the
retardation point, including behind it (that is, farther away from you).
If you have good wind information, you can make some rough estimates.

My own intuition is that the combination of steep descent angle and lack
of terminal explosion suggests that the meteoroid simply ablated away,
and probably didn't produce any meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com