[meteorite-list] Rock on the ground or not?

From: Lasse Lindh <3l_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:35:31 +0200

Hi Chris and Rob

Thanks for your replies. I can say with certainty that it was not a
satellite. These are moving objects and I've seen plenty of those as
well as iridium flares. I'm also an amateur astronomer and have seen my
share of these man made objects. I've also seen a few meteors that
almost took aim at me before, but slightly diverted, all fast and short
ones. I could be mistaken on the time. It's hard to estimate time when
things happen fast. It could well be a lot less instead. I have tried to
go through the event in my head and the shortest time I've come up with
is 5-6 sec but that feels a bit short. But it may be more correct. It's
based on the fact that the light caught my eye, I turned my head towards
it and stared at it and concluded that it was out of place and should
not be there. A second or two later it started to get weaker and
disappeard. The weaening was gradual, not like turning a light bulb off.
So it might be somewhere in the order of 5-7 sec.

Thing is, observing is quite easy but estimating time during an
observation is a lot harder especially if all attention is concentrated
towards the pure visual part.

The weather balloon theory sounds interesting. I've never seen anything
like that. But then, it has to be very high to reflect the sun this time
of the year an hour from midnight.

Regards

Lasse