[meteorite-list] Bonhams Auction Completed.

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 00:00:00 -0400

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:43:17 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

> I am having my pieces picked up by a friend in NY and
>shipped to me that way.
>They sure seem to like to get every penny dont they?
>It seems to have been a very good auction over all,
>some things went cheaper than I would have thought,
>but over all a stong showing. Add it up, hundreds of
>thousands of $$$ sold in less than an hour, and
>MILLIONS bid. Not bad.

Looks like Fukang didn't sell.

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/04/30/america/OUKWD-UK-AUCTION-DUNG.php

NEW YORK: Some dinosaur dung was snapped up at auction in New York even as a 4.5
billion year old meteorite which was supposed to top the sale went unsold.

The two chunks of 130-million-year-old coprolite, otherwise known as fossilized
dinosaur dung, fetched $960 (482 pounds) at Bonhams in New York on Wednesday,
the auction house said.

The Jurassic-era rocks were sold for more than double their maximum estimate,
said spokeswoman Staci Smith.

A 4.5 billion-year-old meteorite, on which a Chinese desert hiker habitually ate
lunch before he discovered it was valuable, failed to meet the minimum reserve
however.

Bonhams had expected the space rock to sell for $2.25 million to $2.75 million.

Smith said negotiations over the meteorite continued after the auction and that
a deal could be struck in days.

The owner of the meteorite, Marvin Kilgore, the curator at the University of
Arizona's Southwest Meteorite Center, was mystified by the sale of the
fossilized dung which is much more common than rocks that have fallen from
space.

"Some people want it on their shelves, I guess," he said.

The dung was bought by a phone bidder which the auction house declined to
identify.

(Reporting by Timothy Gardner, editing by Sandra Maler)